Guest Recipe by Gabrielle St. Claire of Eat. Drink. Shrink.
My Name is Gabrielle and I’m the founder & creator of Eatdrinkshrink.com. I established my website in late 2012 to share my experience and knowledge as I pursue a career as a Registered Dietitian in New York City. I currently hold a BS in Nutrition and Dietetics from NYU and am in the midst of completing my MS in Nutrition and Health Sciences at Brooklyn College. (Almost done!) I work with various non-profits centered around plant based foods and currently am on the Junior Council of the Coalition for Healthy School Food, which promotes plant based foods in public schools throughout New York. In my free time I work in recipe development, privately teach yoga, and through Eat Drink Shrink I advocate for a cruelty free and green lifestyle.
Crispy Vegan Cauliflower Tacos
Prior to featuring recipes on Eat Drink Shrink I typically showcased reviews of all things green, but within the past 4 months I felt the need to branch out and truly share my passion for all things nutrition by featuring amazing effortless vegan eats!
This recipe for Vegan Cauliflower Tacos was inspired by my affinity for tacos and the idea that tacos don’t have to be heavy and unhealthy, they can be light, bright, and nutrient dense! If you’re looking for a recipe that is both effortless and impressive these vegan cauliflower tacos will be your go to recipe for years to come.
Gluten Free. Refined Sugar free. Nut Free. Vegan.
Ingredients For Tacos
6 x gluten free tortillas
1 medium cauliflower, sliced
½ cup full fat coconut milk
Juice and Zest of 1 lime
½ tsp salt
1 cup gluten free Panko breadcrumbs
1 cup cornmeal
1 sprig cilantro (coriander)
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup red cabbage sliced into strips
1 cup white cabbage sliced into strips
1/2 watermelon radish cut into quarters
Ingredients for Spicy Mayo
⅓ cup vegan mayo
2 chilis in adobo sauce
Juice from 1/2 lime
1 tsp lime zest
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp paprika
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Whisk together the coconut milk, zest and juice of 1 lime and ½ tsp sea salt in a bowl, set aside.
3. Whisk together the panko, cornmeal, shredded coconut, cilantro, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, turmeric, ½ tsp sea salt and the pepper in another bowl set aside.
4. Grease a pan with coconut oil line and assemble the bowls for breading the cauliflower with wet ingredients and then dry ingredients
5. Dip piece of cauliflower in coconut milk mixture coating all sides, then roll the piece around in the dry mix making sure its well coated and adhering to the cauliflower.
6. Transfer coated cauliflower to the baking sheet and continue until with remaining pieces. Bake cauliflower pieces for 25-30 minutes. Rotate the pieces after 15 minutes to ensure they cook evenly. Cauliflowers should be a golden brown color and crispy.
7. While cauliflower is baking, you can make the spicy mayo. In a food processor throw together all of the ingredients. Set aside in fridge ready for use.
8. Assemble tacos by placing a tortilla on a plate, top with cabbage mixture, watermelon radish, breaded cauliflower, and 2-3 cauliflower bites with avocado and spicy mayo. Top with an additional squeeze of lime and enjoy!!