Guest Recipe by Gena of Choosing Raw
Raw Vegan Mushroom Burgers
Raw. Vegan. Gluten Free. Grain Free.
3 large portobello mushroom caps, chopped
2 tbsp tamari (I use low-sodium)
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tbsp agave
1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup chopped carrot (or carrot pulp)
1/2 cup chopped celery (or celery pulp)
1 tsp rosemary or thyme
1) Mix the tamari, smoked paprika, agave, and ACV in a bowl. Add mushrooms and try to mix them well into this marinade. Let sit for about 2 hours.
2) In a food processor fitted with the S blade, grind pumpkin seeds till smooth.
3) Remove mushrooms from the marinade (reserving it) and add to the processor. Process till the mixture has very little texture, but isn’t as smooth or uniform as a nut pate. If it’s overly pasty, add a few tablespoons of water or your leftover marinade.
3) Add the carrot, celery, and thyme, and pulse to incorporate it all, still leaving some texture.
4) Shape into four patties and dehydrate at 115 for about 2 hours, flip, and keep dehydrating for another 3-4, or until they’re the texture you like. Alternately, you can bake these at 325 degrees for about 30-35 minutes, flipping once. Serve over greens, on some raw bread, or in a wrap sandwich!
No matter how you serve, these are a delicious and satisfying part of a meal, and especially appropriate for this time of year.